Top 5 Most Expensive Football Transfers
Unlike American sports, it is common for European football teams to charge a massive transfer fee to give up their rights to a particular player to another team. Here are the 5 most expensive transfer fees ever paid. All numbers are in euros.
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (2009) Manchester U. to Real Madrid, 80 m. Easily the most ballyhooed transfer ever.
2. Zlatan Imbrahimovic (2009) Inter Milan to Barcelona, 60.7 m. The fee was considered a bit steep for someone who was not quite a household name.
3. Kaka (2009) AC Milan to Real Madrid, 56 m. Along with Ronaldo, represented the bulk of the Spanish power’s huge offseason spending spree.
4. Fernando Torres (2011) Liverpool to Chelsea, 50 m. Would have been higher but for Torres’ rough season.
5. Zinedine Zidane (2001) Juventus to Real Madrid, 45.62 m. A huge number at the time.